Sunday, April 5, 2009

Quick cruise up I-5...

Just back from Ashland, Oregon, where Marja and I sat down with Mike DeSalvo to discuss Marja's CX build. Really cool to see what Mike can do with the bikes geometry, etc. in order to address the fact that we could not find a bike with a short enough top tube for her. Seems no one builds a women's specific CX frame yet, so most women who race cross end up "reaching" for the bars... The 4+ hour drive up and then down was well worth it!!
It a true test of will power NOT to get fitted for a CX build for me. Yes I had my CX bike on the truck and vowed NOT to pull it off the roof and bring it in. Then Mike wanted to measure it for comparison to some of the dimensions for Marja's bike.....UH OH!! Alas, I made it out w/o getting fitted, however, we will be driving through again at the end of May on our way to Spokane for Chris' race and I may not be so strong....
Here's an update for Chris as to where he stands, didn't know you were getting a SS Chris? We did get a chance to see his bike though....

Unfortunately, seems that Linda's bike was posing a bit of a challenge to Mike, so he may be building a whole new frame for her. Originally her 29er was built up for what tires were available at the time, which were SKINNY, so Mike was putting a new rear triangle on it for better tire clearance. Seems it was turning out to be a serious issue so he might have to build another altogether.

While up in Ashland we got to see the results from Prairie City, and I surprised myself by pulling out a 2nd. I felt good last Wednesday night, but to be honest I had absolutely no clue where I was. For me the short races are all about trying to stay with the lead group on the first lap and then just holding on for dear life with the throttle wide open. I started with a 34x16 which I feared would be too small, but with the winds we had it ended up just right. I also rode out to the race from Scott's house, so I got to warm up for about an hour on the way out there.

Sunday Marja and I headed up to Auburn to ride with Scott, and of course the one time he is dressed and ready to roll at our agreed time Marja and I were late, by 15 minutes, at least! I was too comfortable drinking coffee instead of loading the prius...ooops!

Nice ride, beautiful day. The bottom of Ruck-a-Chucky was gorgeous down on the middle fork of the American. Here's the goofy POSE shot for champion Systems and GU sports:

After taking some pics with the new team kits and started back to the bottom of the climb, seems the equestrian people want to try and tell us to stay off of the access roads now too. The Western States Trail is off limits to bikes, and Ruck-a-Chucky is where it crosses the middle fork, however the access roads down in the canyon as well as McKeon-Ponderosa (access fire road up to Foressthill) are open to bikes. Keep in mind the three of us probably make up half of all the cyclists who routinely ride down there anyway as the climb out Mckeon or up Ruck-a-Chucky to Driver's Flat are not fun...not your typical "lets go have fun on our MTBs ride" We soon forgot about them.

The rest of the ride was great. Now Chucky hurt me more than it has in a while, but I can accept that. He has to let you know who's boss every once in a while. Its a little more chewed up with the nicer weather means more vehicles head down to the river there. A lot of Western States Training runs start there, so some drive down to it from Driver's Flat.
What a day. Marja was lucky enough to see some sweet downhill guys on the confluence trail clear all the gaps on it. Jealous. I have only once seen the aftermath of someone trying the largest gap, he didn't make it. He didn't look so good, now his friends were rather enjoying it though.

We finished the climb back up Stagecoach to the car and headed down the hill. We met Jenni and Joel for dinner at Chevy's on the River...Wow, a whole other blog, what a trip on Sunday night.....Marja and I are trying to convince Joel to race Wednesday at Prairie City....hopefully we can pull it off. I have a feeling even with his downhill bike he will finish well.




No comments: