Friday, November 20, 2009

Pave it Damn it!!

I need to be a little selfish here. I know I should be happy for the "greater good" here, but I have to admit I am sad.

Marja and I were riding our CX bikes on some single track/double track trails that wind along some old RR tracks to Camino from my house. Trails are very hard to come by in the 50 corridor, its mostly private property between here and Echo Summit. So the trails I pieced together from the house were great for the CX bikes.

As we got as high as Missouri Flat Road, as we waited to cross it, I noticed a parking lot where an old dirt lot used to sit, "Hmm, what the heck is that for?" I thought to myself.....

Well, as we rode across I noticed the single track trail was now a paved bike trail...wow, what a bummer that was! This section in particular was fun and it dumped you out on an old abandoned RR bridge that was exciting to ride across...now, its like a freeway overpass across Weber Creek . The pavement continued all the way to Forni road, what used to be well hidden single track.

So, yes, I feel guilty for being so bummed out seeing as maybe more people can walk/run/etc on trails in the 50 corridor, but why pavement? Well, at least the first 13 miles form the house is still predominantly dirt, and fun at that. My concern is that they will eventually pave all of it, part of "Rails to Trails".... here's the funny part, the equestrians are none too happy with the paving either! Wow, maybe we should have worked together to keep the trails dirt! Hmmm, there's a novel concept! A lesson for equestrians and MTBers alike!

Remember....

bikes don't poop

Cheers!

No comments: