Friday, February 20, 2009

Furlough Friday #2

"One guy in gay bike clothes is a tool! If you're in a group of 'em, you're the shit!!"
-"Dead Like Me"

Please don't construe the title of today's blog to mean anything other than what it says....I might be persecuted for saying this, but I like Furlough Fridays....who wants to forgo take home pay, I don't, but to have 2 more days...."Get busy living or get busy dieing".... I am not embarrassed to say I work to live, not the other way around.... Now that doesn't mean I don't take pride in my work, and I definitely better not hear you lump me in with the generic "state worker" label nonsense... but more time to ride, spend with my kids....come on now!!!

Rode out with Dave Wednesday on the trail, he was on his mtb so we road some of the trails on our way out to Folsom. My Orange Crush has 1.95 Armadillo's with a little tread and I have to say they held the mud great! I have to give the CX bike a plug here, I really think that bike teaches you some serious bike handling skills.

After we hopped back on the paved trail at Goethe, we were passed by a small pace line of roadies so we had to join in....they seemed annoyed, Dave and I were talking the whole time. Of course when the trail tilted up slightly they all slowed so Dave and I had to come around and pull on principle. You can never get tired of two mountain bikes (one with full knobbies and the other with front/rear fenders and only one chainring up front) pulling a pack of roadies....

Thursday saw me spin 20 miles to work and then head up the hill to Monsters to get my back pummelled by Veloce. Serious lower back/I.T. Band issues that will hopefully be resolved soon. The good news, the one place it doesn't bother me is in the saddle riding.

Now today, as I sit here on "Furlough Friday #2" I am waiting to head into UCD Sport Med for VO2 testing. Marja's research project is starting up so I thought I'd be her guinea pig and get up to date VO2 data along with my training zones (heart rates), skin folds, lactate levels, etc.... looking forward to it. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be up in Auburn right now riding the trails before the rain comes back, but its not everyday you get a chance to have this testing done w/o paying an arm and a leg for it. Until then I think I will take the mutts out to the river and let them have their fun!

Sunday looks like a little racing in the slop out at Granite Bay, see you out there!!

No comments: