Sunday, February 8, 2009

Human again....

Well last I left the blog world, I was reeling from an overdose of Taco Bell paired with a really bad bonk, about to leave on a recovery ride. Hmmmm, lets just say my recovery ride of about 26 miles was the last thing I did since Wednesday night.

Throat was scratchy, head getting congested, it was cold time. As long as it stayed out of my lungs I was good, I could still ride. I was awake all night with some serious stuffed-up sinuses, called in sick on my freaking birthday!!!! and slept. I was floored from a seemingly typical cold. Thursday, couldn't move.....slept. never a temperature, never the aches. Man I am getting old, I know colds effect the elderly a bit more than youth, but this is a joke!

Friday I was riding with Scott and feeling a lot better in the a.m. I took the dogs out to the river at Sutter's Landing to spoil them and do some hardcore WALKING, yes walking, to at least get the sickness blahs out of my body before meeting Scott.

About 30 minutes of "jogging"/walking I am complete toast. Quads shot, back seizing....ouch. Man I am old or a lot sicker than I think. I call off the ride.

As I drive home depressed, I begin to realize how little fluid I actually consumed the past few days. When I am stuffed-up, I have a hard time drinking water, for some reason the fact that I have no taste makes water "taste" nasty....don't ask....

So I take a S-cap (electrolyte pill) and start actually drinking water and powerade. Saturday a.m. is Marja's Duathlon at Granite Bay. I park outside the park and ride in on my CX bike. Can't breath but normal post sickness...As time passes during the race my quads ache and even cramp some...getting old sucks!!!

I leave to get to Annika's gymnastics meet and start consuming powerade and water consistently along with another S-cap. After her meet, I drive back out to Granite Bay to ride the CX bike. 34 miles later I had one of the best rides. Rode the mtb course in a 42x17, couldn't feel the climbs (granted they aren't big there, but my CX rig has always been a challenge there in that gearing). After a lap I headed down river toward the Fish Hatchery where I would loop back on the South side of Lake Natoma and back into Granite Bay. My legs were on!!

Moral of the story...HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!!

So back to the Duathlon yesterday....Shelly and Marja were super anxious. I tried telling Marja that the second run hurts, really hurts (its a 2 mile run-12mile mtb - 2 mile run). She was concerned that she hadn't been riding at all, and running just a little. As I told Chris last week, she will be ok on the run, top three by the time she started the final run, win her age class. She did just that. That's w/o really training.... Can you sense the jealousy!

"Sleepless in Sacramento" Shelly pulled off a second in her age category despite little Max's efforts this week, poor guy has been one sick little trooper which usually, and did, translate to no sleep for Momma!! She still managed to kick butt!!

Across the way in Roseville, Annika Gymnastics team is really starting to look good, nailing their floor routine and their vault and tumbling is starting to look more and more fluid each week!! They are really getting into it!!

On a sad note, at about mile 18 yesterday on my ride I came around the corner and skid to a stop in front of the most beautiful Hawk...wings spread across the trail....wing span probably 4 feet. He hopped off the trail, just staring at me, not nervous at all. My fear, he was injured and likely coyote bait come night fall. Marja had a good point and that maybe he was drying out his feathers...I hope for the latter. I just stared at him for a minute or so before riding off. Too bad no camera because they would have been amazing pics, that close up! Circle of life I guess!

Off the Granite Bay to take in the XC race, then another ride of my own later tonight, EZ 40 mile on the bike trail....no need killing myself just after being sick!

Cheers!

No comments: