Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yep...winter again...


After a busy morning, me at indoor soccer and Marja with Girls on the Run, we hit the top of Stagecoach at noon on Saturday.  It was a cool day, at least 25 degrees colder than last Saturday, and had rained quite a bit between Auburn and Foresthill on Friday.  We were doing the usual, and headed down a slimy Manzanita trail.  We hit the confluence and started on up Clementine.  Marja was off, you could see it in her face, but as stubborn as she is she kept on riding.  The higher we got the wetter it got...The connector was in great shape and sheds water well, the divide trail is a little messier, especially later when we hit the back side.  

As we rode it was obvious Marja wasn't into visiting Chucky, so I took off with the hopes of getting enough time so that Marja's wait at the top of Ruck-a-Chucky would be minimal.  As I hit Driver's Flat I made the usual right hand turn to drop down to pay Chucky a visit.  Last weekend I had a "nice" ride up, that is to say the suffering was minimal.  Today, after a fast and slippery ride down, would not be so "suffer-less."  I hit the bottom in 6 and a half minutes, crossed the wash (BB height compared to a trickle the week before) and back and headed up.  Maintained a good consistent pace up, as luck would have it a car coming up caught me just as a car coming down in one of the narrow spots... Felt bad but I was already staring down off the left down to the river a few hundred feet below.  The driver of the Subaru coming down cussed me out, but I wasn't in the mood to even care...plus what the heck did I do wrong?  

A few turns later, the first easing section, heart rate drops, legs dump the lactic acid then here we go again...more of the same, one pedal stroke after another, just grinding away.  Finally comes the "powder" section, of course this time of year its like peanut butter, a slimy mess.  Still the whole ride to the overlook was in great shape, now the "easier" section to the gate at drivers flat, then the last grind to the top of the divide loop.  

Marja was waiting at the top riding circles to stay warm, as I popped up to cross the road she asks, "Are you okay...?"  I obviously looked as bad as I felt.  Marja and I rode on, she was already freezing waiting for my sorry butt, so I did not want to wait so we both got colder.  The north side of the divide loop was a mess, just had to pay a little bit more attention in the corners.


I said it was a mess.....

Marja spotted what we thought was some sort of fungus, but it turns out it may have been some eggs, from what, not really sure.  Picture doesn't do it justice.  It was fluorescent orange/yellow...

We saw Brian and his friend Cab on the connector and eventually we made it down to the confluence.  As we turned to ride up stagecoach a woman smiled at me and asked, "was it as fun as it looks?"  Then I looked down and realized what we looked like:


...nice pose!!!
Today, Sunday, I rode out the river trails for a nice spin on the CX.  Beautiful day on the trails, cold, but clear.  Rain threatening to the west, but I eventually made it back to Mar's house before the cell hit.  And yes Scott and Marja, I actually did spin EZ....first time for everything.  About 30 minutes from home the BONK settles in and  I realize how little I have eaten today.  GUs gone, pavement left to the house.....a grilled cheese with ham I make upon my return with a nice fat bottle of Endurox!  Heaven!

Just realized, I need to find out how Scott did at the TBF Kick Start Race at Granite Bay...Marja wonders if he raced beginner 14 years and younger?  (OUCH!)  I wouldn't take that Scott!!

1 comment: