Tuesday, March 10, 2009

brrrrrrr...

Well I have nothing on Seattle, that's for sure, but this a.m. after dropping off the munchkins at school I parked at the park and ride to ride in. Everything was frosted, computer stated 31 degrees. Perfectly clear, a slight breeze from the NW. No worries.

I put my layers on top, pulled my jeans off with my bib under neath and reached into my bag for my leg warmers.....still reaching.....fumbling now......hmmmm.

I pile out of the truck, pull my bike out of the back of the truck and start riding. Lets just say, thanks to my brilliance, I froze. I was torn between getting in fast and not hurting my knees. If only I had even knee warmers I would have been perfect other than some frozen toes....those are standard.

I guess I enjoyed the 60s too much (that's temp, not decade) the past few days....

Well yesterday was not nearly as cold at all. I rode in the darkness along the trails on my CX bike. Lots of slime/mud to play in. I was riding my Moab so it was like daylight on the tight overgrown single track between Discovery and mile marker 3. The coyote I came across didn't mind too much, he took off toward the garden Highway unfortunately, but Mar and I have noticed they seem to be pretty smart about crossing roads....anyway, he was fat and healthy undoubtedly eating the river rats in the area!

As I crossed the river at Watt to come down the Sac State side of the river I passed a couple commuters on their road bikes....I was amazed when one seemed to be giving me the finger as I dropped off the bridge onto the dirt trail....Wow.....I was listening to a good song so I could care less....turned out, I just found out, that it was a guy I know that works downtown. He was giving me grief because mud was flying off my tires as I crossed the Watt Ave Bridge....Sorry Jon!! I reminded him that if he had lights (it was very dark) he would have been fine....he didn't catch my nonsense....need I say it.....ROADIE

Okay okay, I rode my road bike today, I'll admit it. Next week I plan on the Monday night river ride to ride in a group. For all the grief I give'em, there still is nothing like flying along in a pack of bikes at about 30+mph.....its pretty cool. Of course out there you usually get the over zealous yahoo who trys to fly off the front and manages to cross wheels with someone and there's a huge pile of carbon fiber splinters and teeth left over....but I digress....

Where was I? Oh yeah the mud....my ride home was late, EVR consumes my time at the office these days...if you know what that is....don't whine at me, if you don't, don't worry about it, it isn't worth it!

The ride back out was nice, a little windy, and a nice distraction from work!

At least my ride home tonight will be warm...

PS....Yeah Chris I know, you are much tougher than I!

No comments: