Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Foreshadowing??

I was talking with my buddy Chris up in Seattle the other day...the usual, bike related I am certain. He was looking for something when he came across a light, "this is the light I lent to you back when you did your first 24hr race at Northstar..." I think it was in 2000.

Suddenly I vividly remember a conversation I had with a solo rider somewhere around 3a.m. as I had just finished talking to the black bear running next to me up the powdery single track climb (if you rode the old course you know what I am talking about...oh I was hallucinating by the way, and I was on a 4 person TEAM)...anyway, he was taller than I, had a beard and mustache, sort of straggley...as I passed him on the climb up to the "hike-a-bike" pitch, I asked him how he does it? I don't remember exactly what he said, but he spoke clear and coherently, not what I expected for having been racing for 15 hours on a tough course.

What I said next set in while retelling it to Chris..."Man I gotta give it to you, you are freaking nuts! I could never pull this off!"

Hmmmmmmm.....

That is 100% fact. Funny what sticks in your mind, and this episode popped up a few times a year thinking back to the 24hr races I have done in the past. Kind of funny looking at it now as I prepare for Boggs 8hr in 2 weeks, and 24hrs of Cool in May - solo. Who knew!?

Saturday was my little floor-monkey's meet at Sac State! So cool to watch Annika compete, she loves it. She is amazing too! The parents got to see her too which made it even more special!

She had way too much fun. She was wiped out at the end of the day when we finally got to go eat with Grandma and Pop-Pop. She was asleep before we hit the freeway to drive up the hill!
Its nice to see her have "her own thing" as she has spent her life traveling around watching Cameron do his thing...Of course it helps that Daddy lives across the street from her gymnastics gym...

Right now its baseball 2x per week for Cam, Gymnastics 2x a week for Annika and a few more indoor soccer games in the season on Sundays...I guess the best way to keep them out of trouble is to keep them busy!

Cam is excited for the Prairie City races that start for the kids in June on Wednesday nights....Annika rides 2x as much as Cam, but I think because Cam does it she "hasn't decided yet..." She is Amazing on two wheels too, a SS just like Dad! They absolutely loves riding with me while I run the hills in Cameron Park, both are now flying up the hills w/o help from me. Most of the time I can barely keep up going uphill!

Well, back to the grind!

Thanks to Pop Pop for the pics!

No comments: