Wednesday, March 25, 2009

...what to do, what to do....

Its been a weird day for me. My buddy Chris who helps Marja crew for my 24hr races told me a few days ago that he might not be able to make 24hrs of Cool.... at first I thought,

"no biggee...it'll work out"

This morning I spoke with him and it really sounded like there was a good chance that he would be partying it up in Mexico at his friends wedding and not in Cool. Okay so its not that simple, and I do in fact know he would rather be crewing for me in Cool (as crazy as it may sound).... I hung up the phone and thought,

"hmmmmm."

About 3 minutes later the stress started to pile up in my gut. Marja is racing the first 8 hrs in her own solo race, and to ask her to be on top of crewing solo for the rest of my race is just not fair top her,

"hmmmmmmmm."

I see some panic sneaking in now! Its March 25 and the race is not until May 2. Normally plenty of time, but considering whats involved, there really was no other option.

I have known Chris for years, and between he and Marja, they understand my mindset in these races and the universe of food/drink/etc I like. They also know how to motivate me and keep me going. They have crewed for all of my 24hr endeavors, Chris has even raced one. Other than these two people I trust no one with my race (Scott is racing, so he is out too). In fact, to a huge extent, it is all in their hands.

I simply ride.

They feed me, clothe me, motivate me, etc....they never tell me where I am in the field, but they tell me how hard I need to ride, etc.

Lucky for me there was one hope. Pete. For those of you who know him, you are a better person for it. He has the heart of a lion and a passion for crewing for these things that no one can rival. For the last couple of years he has been crewing for Dez "The Manchild" Wilder. This year he happens to NOT be committed to Dez so I asked Marja if I should call him, and before she could really answer me I called him from work. Between races I have done with Dez, Pete crewing, and the relationship I have built with him, he's the man in Chris' absence, I just never considered it because he has always been crewing for Dez.

To my relief, Pete agreed excitedly. I have to say I am honored too! Not only will that take the pressure off Marja, but I will feel "safe" in Chris' absence. Pete's setup is so dialed in it is ridiculous. Marja may actually get to enjoy one of these (well enjoy it as much as one can staying up all night catering to a stinky blubbering idiot riding his bike all day and night...). I mean Chris and Marja have come up with an amazing "equipment list" covering everything you can imagine, but Pete has done the same and has been executing it for years. Its who we have tried to learn from in these things.

So a day that started out a little rough ended on a sweet note. My hope, Chris will be able to make it so we as a team can refine the whole process and with 3 people they can enjoy it more. The more we learn the better Marja and I can do for Chris in Spokane at the end of May.

So with that behind me, I need to focus on the race in three days, Boggs 8hr. Definitely easier than a 24hr race to pack/plan for, but no joke either. Marja and I are camping at the race site with Dawn and Mike and Linda and Lou too. Then Saturday at 8:30 its time to play for 8 hrs.... Last year was fun, good course, and a lot of pine needles which suck on a SS, but oh well... See if I cannot pull out 10 laps this year! Whats interesting is the weather...last year was arm warmers and leg warmers all day, this year its supposed to hit 80 degrees..once again,

hmmmmmmmm

ps...sorry Chris, the jet stream is traveling straight through downtown Seattle for the next month!

No comments: