Friday, March 6, 2009

Furlough Friday #3...

Well just last night the Governator officially ended Furlough Friday....now we just get to pick what two days we ride, I mean don't get paid....now no one wants to take a pay cut, but the opportunity to ride long two more days a month, bring it on!

I am sure I offended most state employees right there, sorry!

Well Monday I did my third VO2 max test at UCD Sports Med. Marja was running through the protocol in order to gear up for her research study. So I got to be the guinea pig, oh darn. VO2, lactate threshold, etc. most could care less, really cool stuff to me!! The great news, all values up from 3 years ago.

So I sit here, made a big breakfast for Mar since I have no commitment until my CX ride with Scott later today, contemplating the next few days. Big mtb ride manana with Marja and some other friends, followed with a long road ride out to Cameron's indoor soccer game Sunday morning, then a long spin back.

Yes you read correct, ROAD ride. I rode the road bike yesterday and have to say wow that thing moves compared to my orange crush (17lbs vs 30+ on fat semi slicks). Figure I can put more time in the saddle at lower efforts. After riding in to the office, I left work in the afternoon for a 50 mile spin. Other than being a bit dehydrated, I headed out to Lake Natoma and back out to Natomas. Gorgeous day! Nice after several days of rain, even on skinny tires!!

Can't remember who originally said it, but I was describing training for 24 hr racing, and between this quote and what I've learned from Scott and others who have been really successful at it, it fits:

You don't have to ride hard all the time... You just have to ride all the time...

I could babble for awhile, but frankly I wanna run the mutts and go put together my new BBQ at the house! Its a rough day!

No comments: