Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Chubby Rookie"


So many don't know the significance of the name "chubby-rookie." Let me see if I can do it justice...

I was riding the CX bike on the trails along the American River Bike trail, yes the "legal" ones, one beautiful day. As I approach the Goethe Bridge (oops, sorry that's non-PC, the "River Bend Bridge") I had to pop up on the paved trail. Shortly after a man with a woman drafting him pass me so I hop on to take advantage of the tow and eat.....well, as I do so, the woman begins to frantically wave her hand at me. Wow, she's actually pointing out an obstacle or object on the trail....but nothing. I slowly get in her draft to eat when she turns to me and says, "I said on your left not hop on my f*&%ing wheel!"

Well, seeing as I love roadies so much I asked her what her problem was, meanwhile, said friend she was drafting coasts back and says, "You hop on my girlfriends wheel again I'm gonna kick your a$$!!!!" He then challenges me to a race, to prove himself I guess, this is where it got really comical, "Come on chubby, what do you got rookie! Come on chubby-rookie, lets go!!!!" What are we 12? Since then that name has sort of stuck on me.

The beauty of this story, he is Sacramento's self-proclaimed ambassador for cycling, a certain columnist for a certain Sacramento newspaper, "...I try to hammer away at the idea that we need to be good ambassadors for our sport...we should try to win over some friends by being good cycling citizens. .." No names, but he rides a red De Rosa fixed gear. But I digress, maybe he was having a bad day. And again about a week or so later my friend Dave got the same wave from the same man/woman drafting duo...man they have a lot of bad days!?

"Don't draft dude!! Or I will kick your booty!!"

No comments: