Thursday, October 30, 2008

The road home is paved with dirt...

Well I finally pulled off the whole nine yards yesterday commute-wise...door to door on the CX bike from 10th and I in Sacaramento to the park-n-ride in El Dorado Hills, thats EDH for the snotty folk reading this. My goal was to see just how much I could ride on dirt on what is a 42 mile ride on the road, bike trail and surface streets.

My first assumption is that the dirt is the same mileage as the road, its probably a little longer (considering the route I took, maybe 2 miles at the most). Of that 42 miles, I was on pavement 8.4 miles. Not bad. Now several miles is the DG trail along the paved bike trail, but it is dirt nonetheless.

As I leave downtown Sacramento I can quickly hop on some double track and single track for several miles to the Watt Avenue undercrossing, then I am on DG and fire road along the American River Parkway to Goethe Park (Opps, lets be PC, thats "River Bend" park now, don't want to offend anyone) where I am forced to ride the pavement in order to ride the bridge over the river. Then we ride single track, gravel and dirt access roads to the Fish Hatchery at Hazel, and hop on single track all the way to the Rodeo Grounds....then we are forced onto pavement for a few miles before climbing up to Dyke 8, sorry again, en lieu of offending its now "Folsom Point, formerly known as Dyke 8"...ride around Lake, well Puddle Folsom, to Browns Ravine where again its on pavement for 1.4 miles until we ride along New York Creek in EDH (see above snotty reference) to the EDH CSD and have to finish out the last 2.2 nmiles on pavement...

Not bad if I do say so myself.....I had to pat myself on the back today!

1 comment:

ckunin said...

Reminds me of my adventure in Oakland/San Lorenzo - 30+ miles all within the cities of Oakland ans San Lorenzo and 99% dirt. Or my ride to North Bend from Seattle. It was actually pretty boring when you look at it. But finding a route of that many miles in an urban area where you are almost entirely on dirt is cool. Either you get it or you don't. Some people just read that and say "So?" If you're reading this, hopefully you are one of the few that get it, and can appreciate it.